We’re in the middle of hurricane season and NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center says that atmospheric and oceanic conditions remain conducive for an above-average hurricane season in 2021.
The latest outlook predicts 15 to 21 named storms (winds of 39 mph or greater) and 7 to 10 hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or greater), with 3 to 5 of them becoming major hurricanes (Category 3, 4, or 5 with winds 111 mph or greater).
With this kind of forecast, it’s important to take steps to keep your plumbing system healthy before and after the storms that we are prone to experience here in Florida.
Since there is no way to predict how bad any particular storm will be at your home, it is always safest to assume your house will be subjected to high winds, flooding, and debris. A hurricane will exacerbate any existing problem. Common problems turn into destructive problems under the extreme conditions of tropical storms and hurricanes. If you have any questions about the current health of your plumbing, one of our experienced technicians at Watermen Plumbing can inspect your plumbing for red-flag issues.
When you are preparing for a storm, consider taking the following steps:
- Check outdoor drains for debris. During normal daily weather, it is common for debris to gather around and in the drains. When a drain is already clogged with trash, it cannot handle the additional water and rubbish that comes with heavy rain and possible floodwaters.
- Turn off your main water valve. Turning off the valve can protect your water from external contamination. Open the tap farthest away from the mainline so that air can still get into the plumbing system. Buy plenty of drinkable water to have on hand and fill your bathtub with water to use when you need to flush the toilet.
- Turn off your hot water heater. Leaving the hot water heater on puts undue pressure on your system.
When it is safe to be outside after the storm, inspect your outside drains again for debris. Cleaning your yard of debris will help keep that rubbish from eventually ending up in your drains. Check whether your water main valve is in good working order.
Signs of Plumbing Problems
Once you turn on your main water valve and hot water heater, it is important to look for signs of damage to your pipes and plumbing system, despite any preventative efforts you may have taken.
You should call the experts at Watermen Plumbing if you notice any of the following:
- Gurgling noises in your pipes or toilet. These noises are signs that air is trapped in your pipes and having trouble getting past a blockage. This could be caused by either a clog or a broken pipe.
- Your hot water heater malfunctions. Having a professional look at a malfunctioning water heater is critical because trying to use a damaged hot water heater can cause fires. The heater can even explode. Only a professional should inspect a water heater that is underwater.
- Multiple clogged drains. When several drains are clogged, especially those in areas you don’t use as often, it is a sign of a larger problem, and you most likely have debris in your pipes.
- Sewage backing up in your toilets. When you have sewage in your toilets, bathtubs, or sinks, you need to contact a Watermen Plumbing technician right away. This plumbing emergency isn’t just unsightly and foul smelling. It is also dangerous, often contaminated with bacteria and other harmful substances.
- Leaking pipes. Not all leaks are immediately evident or visible to the eye. If the number on your water meter continues to increase but you have no water running, this is a sign that you have a leak. Sometimes pipes shift in the ground due to flooding causing leaks big and small.
Time for Professional Plumbing Services
Our plumbing professionals at Watermen Plumbing can help you optimize your plumbing system before the storm and repair any damage that resulted.
We’ve been serving homeowners and businesses in Hallandale Beach and the surrounding communities since 2015. Our plumbing expertise is top-notch, and we pride ourselves on providing amazing customer service.
Count on us for all your plumbing needs, including:
- Water Heaters
- Tankless Water Heaters
- Sewer Line Installation and Replacement
- Plumbing Upgrades
- Backwater Valves
- Custom Home Plumbing
- Commercial Plumbing
- Water Filtration Products
Whether your plumbing system needs repairs or maintenance, we can handle projects of all sizes. Call us today at (954) 800-6364 or reach us through our online form.